Not becoming a complacent teacher

by 8:58 AM 0 comments
Earlier, I wrote I saw a Gregg Doyel tweet... and I was kind of, very nonchalant on the outcome with ProjectShanks.com.

Now, here's the real reason why I did it: complacency.

I don't want to be a complacent teacher. I don't want to be completely comfortable. I have a good gig with good kids. But I've worked really hard to get them to be efficient and to work on authentic publications and tasks to create for the school and a global audience.

One knock on teachers I've heard is, "If you can't do, teach." I've always hated that. Even before I was a teacher. Here's how it works: I went to college for a job (hmmm... let's make it realistic, I went to college to be a journalist), worked in the field (I had a radio and a TV job), then got into teaching (I didn't like the hours / time away from family; became a journalism teacher). It's not because I couldn't do the job... right?

Some of my kids working on a video project.
Well, I've been teaching for five years now (I have the key chain that has already fallen apart to prove it). I love working with kids, I really like coaching (I'm the new boys golf coach), and the schedule is pretty worth it (extra hours for all of the above, but it's not like I'm always getting home at 11pm).  But can I still be a journalist? If I were plopped into a job right now, could I do it? I'd like to think so.

I'd really like to think that the skills I learned in undergrad (and the cost associated with that) is relevant to what I'm teaching kids today. I have first-hand, real world advice I can give to students that potentially want to be in the field.

So, I saw the tweet from Gregg Doyel (from Chris Stuckey). What a great opportunity to prove to myself that I can still do the job; and that what I'm teaching is relevant. Within 10 minutes I had a response (you can see the details in the post linked above) and by 11pm (go figure) I had sent him my article draft.

I forgot a headline.

So last night, I had an email exchange asking if my article can be published (yes), if I wanted to contribute regularly (sure), and when my next article can be submitted (oh jeesh!).

I suppose this is what I wanted. Apparently, what I'm doing should have some credibility because wit a response to a tweet (I love Twitter for professional purposes) I am now a contributor to ProjectShanks.com.

I'll probably get paid about as much as my first journalism internship, but that's not why I got into this field.

Lindquist

Author

I do a lot of things. The best thing I do is fathering (I think). I'm the ol' "Jack of all trades, Master of none." I teach aspiring journalists. I run. I play guitar(s). I also host a running podcast. Oh, and I dabble in drawing. And I dabble in authoring... children's books no less. I just dabble. Sometimes I ramble.

0 comments:

Post a Comment